Deaf American Articles
These articles available online courtesy of the National Association of the Deaf, http://www.nad.org.
Deaf Heritage Excerpts
From Deaf Heritage: A Narrative History of Deaf America, by Jack R. Gannon.
The excerpts here are available with permission of the National Association of the Deaf, http://www.nad.org, and the author.
Deaf History Journal
Articles reproduced here with permission from The British Deaf History Society.
- Galliner, Nicola, Open Your Hands for the Dumb: The History of the Jewish School for the Deaf and Dumb in Berlin-Weissensee 1873-1942. Deaf History Journal, 4:3 (April 2001): 36-39.
- Stone, Emma, “Life Unworthy of Life: Experiences of Deaf People in Nazi Germany.” Deaf History Journal, 7:3 (April 2004): 41-42.
- Scarrot, Rachel, “My Experiences of Filming ‘Life Unworthy of Life’ for BBC’s See Hear!” Deaf History Journal, 7:3 (April 2004): 38-40.
- Hart, Jack, A Brief History of Jewish Deaf Children Evacuated during the Second World War between 1939/1946. Deaf History Journal Supplement, VI (April 2000): 9-16.
- Conway, Gail, I REMEMBER The World War 2: A BBC See Hear! Production. Deaf History Journal, 8.3 (April 2005): 29.
- Marsh, Christopher and Anthony Boyce, 60th Anniversary of Victory in Europe Day.
Deaf History Journal, 9:1 (August 2005): 21-25.
Gallaudet Today Articles
Articles originally published in Gallaudet Today.
JDCC News Articles
Surviving the Holocaust
These articles are available courtesy of the Jewish Deaf Community Center.
Temple Beth Solomon of the Deaf Articles
These articles are available courtesy of Temple Beth Solomon of the Deaf Survivors
Silent Cavalier Newspaper
Military Service Clippings
Red Cross Mobile Clippings
Schools for the Deaf and WWII Clippings
Sign Language and the Military Clippings
Victory Fund and War Bonds Clippings
- Victory Fund Party In Norfolk A Big Success September 1942, p. 3, vol. 3 no. 1
- Virginia In Second Place In Victory Drive With $584.69 September 1942, pp. 1, 4, vol. 3 no. 1
- N.A.D. Victory Fund Now Totals $7,536.49 November 1942, p. 1, vol. 3 no. 3
- Deaf Couple Exchange 6192 Copper Lincolns For $100 War Bond November 1942, p. 3, vol. 3 no. 3
- Victory Fund May 1943 p. 2, vol. 3 no. 9
- The N.A.D. and the Victory Fund August 1943 p. 2, vol. 3 no. 12
- Victory Fund Buys Three Clubmobiles for Red Cross September 1943 p. 1, vol. 3 no. 13
War Plant Jobs and Deaf People Clippings
War Stamps Clippings
Online courtesy of the Altizer family.
- “Pre-Holocaust Experience with a Jewish Deaf Family,” by Lilly Shirey
- “A Deaf Profile: A Mother’s Courage Defied the Nazis,” by Robert Swain
- “Images of Darkness, Flickers of Light,” by Lynne Bohlman
- “The Forgotten Americans,” by Barbara Kannapell
- “The Forgotten Americans PowerPoint Presentation“
- “Genocide & Deafness,” by Stephen Baldwin
- “Too Long Been Silent: Japanese Americans Speak Out,” excerpt about Hannah Tomiko Holmes, by Roger W. Axford
- “24 billion internment lawsuit,” excerpt about Hannah Tomiko Holmes, by Janet Kaye
- Visual Histories: Recording, Preserving, Disseminating and Analyzing Deaf Stories
- “Deaf Victims of the Holocaust” – Honors Theses by Volper